How many Stanley Cups has Sidney Crosby won?
When one hears of NHL hockey, it is impossible to not hear the name “Sid The Kid” originally named Sidney Crosby. He entered and revolutionized the Hockey world with his marvelous moves and victories. But what made Crosby so special was not just his skill, it was his ability to be the best at everything he did. He did not just have one or two skills that made him stand out from the rest; he had tons of them! However, the question that comes to mind is how he managed to do so.
Sidney Crosby has won 3 Stanley Cups. He won his first in 2009 when he was only 19 years old and was named MVP of the playoffs. In 2016, Sidney Crosby won the consecutive second Stanley Cup and was awarded as the MVP of the playoffs. In 2017, he led his team to their second consecutive Stanley Cup win but was not named MVP for that year’s playoffs.
What is a Stanley Cup?
The Stanley Cup is a trophy awarded to the winner of the National Hockey League (NHL) playoffs each year. It is the earliest professional sports award in North America.
The cup had first been presented to the Montreal AAA as conquerors of Canada’s senior ice hockey leagues in 1892, thanks to a donation from Governor-General Lord Stanley of Preston.
- The cup was originally contested by amateur teams exclusively, with no professional teams allowed to compete for it until 1927 when the NHL decided to allow all teams to compete for the trophy.
- Furthermore, it would not be wrong to say that the Stanley Cup is the oldest trophy for sports in North America. It’s a trophy that has been around since 1893 and it is awarded to the winners of the National Hockey League (NHL).
Related Post: 10 Best NHL players to never win the Stanley Cup
History of the Stanley Cup
The Stanley Cup was not always a hockey trophy, though. In truth, it has a considerably longer history than that. It was first known as the Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup, and it was presented by Lord Stanley of Preston, Canada’s former general. Lord Stanley donated the cup to be used as a prize in a competition between amateur ice hockey teams in Canada.
- The first team to win three games would win possession of the cup for one year and could then defend their title by winning another three games against another team from another province or territory within Canada.
- The Stanley Cup is a symbol of mastery that is awarded to the one who plays fiercely to win. It represents the pinnacle of professional sports and the ultimate goal of every NHL player.
Stanley Cup #1 – 2008-09
2008’s Stanley Cup is notable for a few reasons. It was a rematch of the previous year’s Stanley Cup playoffs, in which the Wings prevailed in a thrilling six-game series.
A passing of the torch also occurred when the Red Wings’ heyday of 1990 and early 2000 was coming to an end and Sid was stealing the spotlight for the Penguins.
It was the first Stanley Cup won by Sidney Crosby in 2009 by the Pittsburgh Penguins. This was his sixth time competing in the playoffs, but only his second time winning it all. He became only the third player to score 100 points in a single postseason, with 22 goals and 54 assists for 76 points in 25 games played.
Stanley Cup #2 – 2015-16
Crosby followed this up with another Stanley Cup victory over the Chicago Blackhawks in 2016, which was also his first season as captain of the team. During this time he also won several individual awards including Most Valuable Player and Conn Smythe Trophy (awarded to the best performer during playoffs).
Sidney Crosby without disappointing his fans won the consecutive second Stanley Cup and also for Pittsburgh Penguins. The final score was 2-1, with Crosby scoring the game-winning goal in overtime.
Related Post: How many Stanley Cups did Lemieux win?
Stanley Cup #3 – 2016-17
The Stanley Cup 3 was held in the year 2017 at the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia. Sidney Crosby played for the Pittsburgh Penguins and won the cup after defeating the San Jose Sharks in a 4-1 series.
Almost everybody is calling him the best player in ice hockey, and to be honest, it is true as per based on his performance and achievements. Therefore, you could say that the professional ice hockey player, Sid The Kid is one of the most capable players in the Hockey world.
How do 3 Stanley Cups compare with other all-time greats?
If we talk about the other all-time greats of Stanley cups then the most common name will be Wayne Gretzky which will come into the discussion.
- Wayne Gretzky won 4 Stanley Cups and 9 Hart trophies (the award given annually to the league’s most valuable player).
- Mario Lemieux has 2 Stanley Cup rings.
- Six Art Ross Trophies (given annually to the league’s leading scorer), two Hart Trophies,
- Four Conn Smythe Trophies (awarded annually to the most valuable player in the playoffs),
- Two Lester B Pearson Awards (awarded annually to the top player in NHL) and
- Three Lady Byng Trophies (awarded annually for sportsmanship).
However, Crosby is still young at 35 years old so there is certainly time for him to catch up with Gretzky and Lemieux but he has already proven himself as a great player despite being surrounded by inferior talent on many occasions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Sidney Crosby the greatest ice hockey player of all time?
Sidney Crosby has won 3 Stanley Cup championships, two Olympic gold medals, and two World Cup of Hockey championships during his career with the Pittsburgh Penguins. He is only 30 years old, so it is possible that he could end up winning more championships before his career ends.
Crosby vs Ovechkin: who’s better?
Crosby has been the superior player by a wide margin in Pittsburgh’s 12 victories over the Capitals. Averaging 1.377 points per game compared to Ovechkin’s 0.984.0 for their career head-to-head meetings, the Penguins’ star has 24 more points than Ovechkin.
Conclusion: How many Stanley Cups has Sidney Crosby won?
Sidney Crosby being a skillful and professional ice hockey player plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins of the National Hockey League (NHL). He began playing professionally at age 15 in 2003 when he was drafted by the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins.
Sidney Crosby has been a captain and a leader for the Pittsburgh Penguins since he was drafted first overall in 2005. Crosby is currently in his 19th season with the team and has won two Stanley Cups during his time there.